Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Number Eighty with a Bullet!

I would like to take a little time here and ask a favor. I have been writing this blog since the last week of January, and this one will be my 80th post. I have been averaging 20 a month, so roughly two posts every three days. It has been very enjoyable for me. I have been able to satisfy the writing bug that is  present and I have also been able to pass along some things that you may not have had time to look for on the interwebs, like   

7 Basic Things You Won't Believe You're All Doing Wrong 
Japan Earthquake Animation
How to Decorate the Spare Bedroom

There have been some math topics:  

A Math Fact You Probably Didn't Know
Mathematics You Can Use!
Today's Math Lesson: Bubble-sort, anyone?

some music videos: 

Today's Musical Selection
One of My Favorite Songs
Gonzo Sings Today's Musical Selection

and some geek moments: 

The NeatoShop
The JetPack is Here (sort-of)
Hail To The King, Baby!
 
This blog has also given me a chance to let you know some things about me and how I think:  

Can't Help Myself
Reflections on bin Laden and America
How I Spent My Morning
Easter Fun!
Illinois Public Employee Unions

The one thing this blog has not done has been to give me an idea of how you think. I know you don't have all the time I have, but it would be nice to hear what you have to say. So I am going to walk you through the process of commenting on the blog. It is not difficult, although you may have to set up an account through Google. Hit the button below that says 0 comments (or by this time 1 comment or 2 comments, etc). Type your comment into the white box labeled comment. It can be as simple as "Hey, I'm reading you". Or you can do a specific comment about that post - "I can't believe there's a website with pictures of animals with stuffed animals". If you have time, be specific in your comments and tell me what you think or did or saw that is related to what I wrote. When you are done, click on the menu "Comment as" below the box and highlight Google account. Then click on Post comment. If you have an active Google account associated with my blog, you can skip the next few steps. If you don't have an account on file with the blog (never commented on Blogger before), the Blogger screen should show up with a chance to sign in with your Google account. If you don't have a Google account, click on Get Started and follow the directions. You don't have to fill in everything when you set up your Google account. E-mail address, the password you make up and a user name to display on the screen are essential. You don't have to use your actual name. My user name is jcat. That's what shows up on the comments page. Fill in the word verification, click the acceptance box and you are good to go. That word verification thing often shows up when I post a comment to someone else's blog. I think it is to keep things a little more secure. Well, that's it. Post a comment about the blog, post a comment about someone else's comment, or post a comment about my response to your comment. Just don't post a comment that you are eating breakfast. That's twitter and we have an official stance on twitter. It involves Samuel L Jackson and a gun.   




I can't emphasize enough the fact that blog writing is often a pretty lonely affair on my level. On the statistics page associated with the blog, I can find out how many pages were viewed each day, but that doesn't really tell me who is out there. I might get a comment or two from the boys and/or my lovely and delightful daughter - in  - law. But it usually goes four or five or eight posts in a row without any comment at all. Twelve of my previous 79 posts have at least one comment.  That leaves 67 posts bare naked. If that keeps up, I'll have to get the new puppy sooner than I thought, just to have someone to talk to. It's pretty quiet in this room at 1 AM. It would be nice to know you are out there, although probably sleeping if you are smarter than me.  If the comment thing is not working, send me an e-mail here.   Looking forward to hearing from you. And when you start your blog, I promise to read and comment. 

And, as always, thanks for reading (and soon, I hope, thanks for commenting).


   

5 comments:

  1. I'm reading, I promise!

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am falling way behind and I got a month's head start. I'm only at 56 right now. I like the proactive approach with the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work flushing out the lurkers here. It would be nice to get some conversation going in the comments, but even when things go quiet, we're all reading. Thanks for all the great content, and keep it up. I think it's safe to say that the most important thing is that you continue to kick Mike's butt.

    ReplyDelete