Tuesday, January 25, 2011

One of My Favorite Songs

I have found in my retirement from 37 years of teaching mathematics that I have been using blogs and websites to satisfy the geek component I used to get from teaching calculus to really bright kids.  More than anything in retirement, I miss talking about math with colleagues and students.  That is first on my list of traits I'm looking for in a new puppy. To make up for that (and until we get around to buying a new puppy), I am enjoying several sites about science and technology and general geekiness.  One of my favorites is from musician Jonathan Coulton, whose blog can be found here.  You can find a version with lyrics of his song Skullcrusher Mountain (which song by the way makes a great ring tone) below.  Let's hear it for evil scientists!  Enjoy.


     
  







6 comments:

  1. Any new ideas for puppy names and is there any chance of a math reference in said name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name Rhombus for a dog. Is that good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I would add Isosceles to the list. Maybe the dog wouldn't get so obtuse then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cosine - both a math joke and a finance pun. Which makes me immediately regret that suggestion.
    Denominator - has an intimidating ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, maybe go with Numerator. Less swagger and more counting. Teach him to do that horse trick where they stamp their foot to answer numerically.

    Man, I love talking about dog names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK - when we get our puppy, we'll put the picture online and have a contest to name the puppy. Winner gets to keep the puppy when we go on vacation. Red Card is still in the running, but Barf Bag has been thrown out by the head judge (who is not me).

    ReplyDelete