Friday, August 19, 2011

Today's Music Selection - Classical

About 38 years ago, Ann and I moved to Old Willow Road in Wheeling, Illinois to begin our grown-up lives. Six years and five moves later we moved into our house in Wauconda, We each had teaching jobs, but very little money. We had a record player that we had gotten used from someone (I don't remember who) and we had some records we had bought in college - lots of Association records, Simon and Garfunkel, Guess Who, and others. We bought three new albums in the first few months of living in our new house: Cosmic Messenger by Jean Luc Ponty, a jazz violinist:    




Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano with Jean-Pierre Rampal and Claude Bolling:   



and our favorite, an album of baroque music that we bought mainly to listen to Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. I'm sure that you have heard it before; it is a fairly famous piece of music. Recently, I heard it on YouTube in a different setting: played on a glass harp - yeah, that's the set of crystal glasses that vibrate at a certain pitch depending on how much water is in them. It was absolutely incredible and I hope you enjoy it.    


      

And I still have all three albums and a record player, so I still listen to them from time to time.   




No comments:

Post a Comment