Sunday, August 7, 2011

On Being 60

It is hard today to get my head around the fact that I am 60. A milestone of sorts, but not on a par with seeing a Cubs game in every National League stadium (which we are nowhere near yet) or reading every book that was ever written (we're closer to that one).  We had a very nice day starting at the pet store going through the new pet orientation for Whimzy and signing up for puppy training starting next Saturday. There is puppy training (six weeks), beginning training (six weeks), intermediate training (six weeks), and advanced training (take a guess). After that, if we are still functioning, we are signing her up for flying lessons. I talked to Mike, who is recovering well from oral surgery, and have plans to grill out with Nate tomorrow, so we are doing the family things.  I went to Lovin Oven Cakery in Round Lake (this place is amazing) and bought a Boston Cream birthday cake and almost got it in the door before I tipped it on its side. So as you can see, the icing got stuck to the lid, and by the time I got it off, we are wishing me a "nappy Birthday", which is OK with me, because a nap is just about the best thing to get for your birthday.    


There was a cherry in the middle of the cake on top of that little spot of chocolate buttercream. I assumed you were supposed to throw that away (like a banana peel). I'll eat cherries if they are in a pie; otherwise they are too much like fruit.    

Then in the evening, Mary and Dave came over to visit and play with the new puppy. For me they got a card about being old (which is the traditional birthday gift for us)    




and for Whimzy, they brought two new toys, which she loved. She especially loves the bone shaped plush squeaky toy. We elected not to put that in her cage tonight. It's similar to buying your friends' kids a drum set.     


After that she entertained everyone marvelously, even helping us play cards later in the evening.    


                         


It was a very nice birthday day, but, at 60, it's hard to believe my life is 1/3 over (I'm aiming for 180). Any day now, I'm expecting that wisdom thing to kick in. You know, the thing that you get to make up for the saggy butt.  Maybe next year.       

No comments:

Post a Comment