Friday, May 23, 2014

WHS Commencement Address, 2014

It's that time of year again. WHS graduated last Sunday; the two middle schools graduate next Tuesday. I have been giving the commencement address for the last twelve years, with a couple of years off to go see Mike and Nate graduate from college. There is concern that you take the right tone with the speech - it needs to be for the parents of the graduates as well as the graduates. But I'm sure very few of you would remember your high school commencement speaker or her/his text for the day. So although there is some pressure, it is not overwhelming. Just try to be a little funny and finish quickly. Unfortunately for the people I know, the commencement address is at times a story, and so my family, usually Nate and Mike, often appear in the story in an exaggerated way. At other times I just simply make something up to fit the theme. I'm a first level Keillor in this dungeons and dragons game: I can't help it. Unfortunately, this graduation had a cloud hanging over it: Tom Weber, who had been on the board for 19 years and is the biggest WHS booster in town was in the hospital after suffering from a stroke and would pass away that evening after graduation finished. He was always in our thoughts as we handed out diplomas. Anyway, here is this year's version.   



Commencement Address
May 18, 2014
Wauconda High School
John Armstrong
Parents, friends, faculty, and members of the graduating class of 2014:
On behalf of the District 118 School Board, I welcome you to the 98th annual commencement of Wauconda High School.
For the second time in the last five years, I received a distressing envelope in the mail from someone that was once my friend. Inside the envelope was a letter reminding me that it had been 45 years since I had graduated from high school and it was time for a high school reunion. Now, I won’t pretend that you’re thinking “45 years, Mr. Armstrong? That’s not possible.” But, in fact, 45 years ago, in a small rural town in Ohio, I sat in a seat much as you do now and listened to a commencement address. I don’t remember who gave the commencement address at my high school or what the address was about. You won’t remember yours either. By this time next week, it will be relegated to that portion of the memory devoted to your sister’s birth date and the quadratic formula.
It was thinking about that invitation to my high school reunion that made me want to talk to you today about friends. We all know what a tremendous impact your parents and the rest of your family have on you. And we are very proud of the quality of the teachers and staff here in District 118 and recognize that they have a profound influence on your lives as well. But today, I want to talk to you about friends. As my school board friend Mr. Swanson is fond of saying, “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with doughnuts.”
I mentioned my upcoming reunion to my son, who graduated from Wauconda High School in 2001, a few weeks ago when we were visiting him in Chicago. He had missed his 10th reunion three years earlier and was sorry about that. My son was very engaged in high school, heavily involved in sports and activities as many of you are, though not as involved in the classroom as his parents would have liked. He went to every dance and we often had kids spending weekend nights at our house. He had a group of 5 or 6 close friends, but seemed to know everybody. That was primarily a function of his extroverted nature. When he was a freshman at University of Illinois in Chicago, when we walked from his apartment to go out to dinner, I found he was on a first name basis with most of the regular homeless people in that section of Milwaukee Avenue. He made friends easily. When high school was over, though, he moved on to college and only sporadically would get together with his high school friends. Years would go by and he wouldn’t have had any contact with any of the kids he graduated with. His life changed and his friends changed, too.
Although I am not the extrovert that my son is, our experiences after high school were very similar. I left Ohio to go to college, then moved to the Chicago area right after college to go to work. When I drove from Wauconda to my old hometown to visit my parents, I might run into a former classmate at the grocery or at a restaurant, but I didn’t plan anything with my old friends when I was there. And years would pass before I would see anyone from good old Memorial High School. The only person I have stayed in touch with was the girl I went to prom with senior year, and that’s because we’ve been married for 40 years now.
I know what we write in our friends’ yearbooks in our senior year and what we say to each other when we reconvene downstairs when this ceremony is over. And you know what, it might not be true. You may end up going very different directions, and you may not see or talk to that person that is so important to you today for years at a time. And that’s OK. Just because that friendship doesn’t extend for years from now, just because you find other people to share your most important thoughts and feelings with over the next few years, doesn’t diminish in any way the importance of the friendships you have had in high school with the people sitting around you in this room. The years you spend in high school can be incredibly terrifying at times. The decisions you make every week can rebound with consequences for years to come, whether you recognize the consequences or not. And without the graduating seniors around you in this room, those four years would have been much more difficult. They have encouraged you, commiserated with you, cried with you, celebrated with you, and most importantly, they cared about you. And you cared about them. And whether you are still best friends ten years from now does not take anything away from how important they have been for the last four years.
When I go to my reunion next month and talk to people I haven’t seen since the last reunion five years ago, we will remember moments from those years together. We will tell stories only slightly embellished of things we did as teenagers and especially stories of people who for one reason or another could not attend this year. We will talk about Mr. Eversman’s Geometry class. About singing in the choir together. About being in the cast for the play “Our Town” in our junior year. And about four summers of two-a-day practices for football in the heat of August. And although we don’t say it out loud, mostly we celebrate how important we were to each other for those four years.
A friend doesn’t need to be a friend forever to be important. They just need to be a friend today.
Thank you for listening and congratulations on reaching this milestone in your life.  



No comments:

Post a Comment