Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Big Fish, Again

Back in 2011, when Marshmallow Fight was asking people to list their top ten movies, I had Big Fish at number 9 on my list.It has always been a movie that makes me tear up, because its all about family, fathers and sons. It is a Tim Burton movie, but don't let that stop you from watching. Some people aren't big Burton fans like I am, but this movie has just the right touch of the fantastic. And Ewan McGregor as the young Edward Bloom is great.    

              


On my top ten movie list, I included this exchange from Big Fish between old Edward Bloom (Albert Finney) and his son Will (Billy Crudup):  
Senior Ed Bloom: You are in for a surprise.
Will Bloom: Am I?
Senior Ed Bloom: Havin' a kid changes everything. There's burping, the midnight feeding, and the changing.
Will Bloom: You do any of that?
Senior Ed Bloom: No. But I hear it's terrible. Then you spend years trying to corrupt and mislead this child, fill his head with nonsense, and still it turns out perfectly fine.
Will Bloom: You think I'm up for it?
Senior Ed Bloom: You learned from the best. 
  

What brings the movie back to mind is that the original novel Big Fish by Daniel Wallace is being turned into  a Broadway musical. And, as many of them do, it opens in Chicago for five weeks first to get the bugs out. And, I now have tickets for the show on April 30th. Ann and I are treating it as a delayed 40th wedding anniversary outing. I think Nate and Dana are going with us. If anyone else would like to join us, please check at Broadway in Chicago for tickets. We're in center orchestra section, row U. Let us know if you are coming. We'll find a good place to eat afterwards.   

And on a related note, it is time for Marshmallow Fight to come up with a new list. So far, we have done songs, movies, and books. If you have a suggestion for a new list, let me know. Top five foods, vacation destinations, dog names (Barf Bag is still my favorite), whatever you can think of. Once we get a topic, we'll let everybody know to start sending in lists.  Thanks.    




1 comment:

  1. Board/Card Games and TV shows are also list options. Let's start this up again!

    ReplyDelete